Monday, February 7, 2011

Anyone Can Join

You've stumbled onto the official proceedings of the Fort Worth Surf Riders Club. My name is Bob, and I'm glad you're here. I'm the club president, treasurer, and ombudsman. As we go to press, I'm also the club's only member. Having only one member simplifies taking attendance at our monthly meetings, which we haven't had yet, and it also expedites the collection of dues. All motions pass without objection. It's a great club.

We don't have a mission statement, but we're working on it. Once ratified by the member(s) at large, it will probably sound something like this: "The Fort Worth Surf Riders Club promotes the sport of surfing on Texas lakes, rivers, and stock tanks in an environmentally sustainable way without regard to race, creed, or national origin." Like the club itself, the mission statement needs a little work.

We're well aware that small inland bodies of water rarely produce conditions suitable for surfing, so while we wait for waves we'll pursue a host of other activities, ranging from road cycling to small-plot gardening, from home improvement projects to vintage auto restoration, and anything else that suits our fancy.

For those of you who came here just for the surfing, don't despair. There will be waves—just not here in North Texas. Your president has a part-time job that takes him to Hawaii on a regular basis, and as you may have heard, they have waves out there.

You may apply for membership in our club by posting encouraging comments here. Anyone can join. Welcome to the club.

3 comments:

  1. For big surf, I suggest you visit the Potomac Surf Club. We have Saturday surf lessons with our instructor, Jenna, a recently accepted student to BYU Provo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are looking for some big inland waves, I suggest you try the Potomac Surf Club. But hurry - our head instructor, Jenna, recently got admitted to BYU Provo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear FWSRC,
    Please accept my humble application for membership. Although I am land locked in good SLC, don't own a surf board, nor have I even been on one since the Palos Verdes East Ward Scout trip to Ensenada. Your mission statement strikes at my heart and stirs my very soul. I look forward to the confirmation of my membership status and the opportunity to surf the blue tubes of Hawaii vicariously through your blogage. Many thanks for your consideration.

    Jeffrey K. Cobabe

    ReplyDelete